Student dies, 3 hospitalized with symptoms suggestive of carbon monoxide poisoning

After being discovered with “symptoms consistent with carbon monoxide poisoning” inside a student housing unit, one Evergreen State College student died and two others were hospitalized.

The Evergreen State College acknowledged to KING 5 that a student resident management notified campus police after the students were unable to be reached on Monday night.

After busting down the door to the unit at 8:30 p.m. Monday, a campus police officer attempted emergency CPR. Two pupils were rushed to the hospital from the building. There was no additional information on their conditions available at the time.

Student dies, 3 hospitalized with symptoms suggestive of carbon monoxide poisoning

According to Evergreen Police Chief David Brunckhurst, the officer who discovered the students was also hospitalized but was released Tuesday morning.

Jonathan Rodriguez, 21, of Dupont, was recognized as the student who died by the Thurston County Coroner.

McLane Black Lake Fire Department rushed to the scene and tested for carbon monoxide in the affected locations.

According to the announcement, earlier in the day Monday, campus officials allege a contractor working in the Modular Apartments “responded to carbon monoxide alarms.”

“This is a tragedy, and we grieve for our students and families,” Evergreen President John Carmichael said in a statement. “The safety of students, staff and faculty remain Evergreen’s top priority.”

Jacob Benjamin, a student, lives next door in a modular home. He stated that he witnessed paramedics removing an unconscious student.

“There was a lot. “I didn’t know them personally, but I didn’t have to,” Benjamin added as he fought back tears.

According to Dr. Sarah Kaiser of the Washington Poison Center, what happened at Evergreen State is a heartbreaking reminder of the dangers of carbon monoxide.

Student dies, 3 hospitalized with symptoms suggestive of carbon monoxide poisoning

“It’s really odorless, colorless, and tasteless,” Dr. Kaiser explained. “The best way to know if this is a concern in your house is to have a detector available.”

According to Dr. Kaiser, CO poisoning is common in the winter because the initial symptoms resemble a virus: headache, nausea, and a general feeling of being wrong.

“You might believe you have a common infection. Especially if other people in your home are experiencing symptoms. “You think you’re all on the same page,” she continued.

People turning on furnaces for the first time in months, which may be clogged, can also lead to CO leaking into your home, according to Kaiser.

“Your best bet is to have a CO detector in your home, preferably more than one,” she told me.

Dr. Beth Ebel, a doctor at Harborview, agreed with Dr. Kaiser. She also mentioned the incident’s setting, which was a college campus.

“Please accept my heartfelt condolences to the family.” “Everyone deserves for their children to return home safely,” Ebel said. “This is actually worth a call to your child to make sure the detectors work.”

According to a college representative, every residential unit on campus is equipped with smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.

The inquiry is being led by the Washington State Patrol, and the school has stated that further information will be given as it becomes available.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.