Long Island mother admits guilt in double murder of 2-year-old twin daughters

A Long Island mother pleaded guilty to the suffocation of her twin 2-year-old daughters in June 2019, authorities said.

Tenia Campbell, 28, of Medford, New York, pleaded guilty to two counts of first-degree murder in Suffolk County state court on Monday, according to Suffolk County District Attorney Raymond A. Tierney.

Officials expect her to be sentenced to 20 years in jail next month.

According to Tierney’s office, Campbell was gripped by suicidal thoughts as she drove a minivan with her twins toward the eastern edge of the island on June 27, 2019.

According to the report, the three came to a halt under a tree near the entrance of Montauk County Park’s Third House Nature Center.

Campbell’s mother had contacted 911 to report that her daughter, Jasmine, and Jaida Campbell, had threatened to kill them and herself.

According to the D.A.’s office, authorities initiated a search that included assistance from local and state police, park rangers, and the Coast Guard.

Prosecutors said Campbell was linked to a call between her mother and officials, but she refused to reveal her location. According to the D.A.’s office, her cellphone signals were used to help track down the trio.

Long Island mother admits guilt in double murder of 2-year-old twin daughters

East Hampton Town Police officers saw the minivan and confirmed Campbell was in it around an hour and 20 minutes after Campbell’s mother originally called, according to the report.

According to NBC New York, Campbell stepped out of the minivan, walked to a neighboring street, and told the attending officer to “shoot me,” according to authorities.

“The officer walked over to the van and saw Campbell’s 2-year-old twin daughters dead in their car seats,” the Suffolk County office stated in a statement released on Monday.

“Campbell later admitted to smothering the girls to death,” according to the report.

When first responders arrived, the girls were claimed to be in cardiac arrest, and they were taken to Stony Brook Southampton Hospital, where they were confirmed dead, according to the office.

The office, then led by D.A. Timothy D. Sini, announced in a statement on July 10, 2019, that the county medical examiner ruled the twins died of “homicidal violence consistent with manual asphyxia.”

Prosecutors alleged at the time that Campbell told cops she killed the twins.

“Those two little girls looked to this defendant, their mother, for protection and love,” Tierney said in a statement released on Monday. “Instead, she executed them.”

“This is such a sad and tragic case,” he told reporters.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.