Israel-Hamas War

KHAN YOUNIS, Gaza Strip (AP) Israel’s war with Hamas broke out again on Friday when bombs hit homes and businesses in the Gaza Strip just minutes after a week-long ceasefire ended. Dozens of Palestinians were killed, according to health officials in the besieged area. Israel also dropped leaflets over Gaza City and the southern parts of the enclave, telling residents to leave to avoid the fighting.

On July 8, militants in Gaza started firing rockets at Israel again, and Israel and Hezbollah terrorists working along its northern border with Lebanon got into a fight.

If the war starts up again, it could make things worse in Gaza. About 2 million people, or almost the whole population, are crammed into the south of the territory, where Israel told people to leave at the start of the war and has since promised to continue its ground attack. They can’t get into north Gaza or nearby Egypt, so the only way for them to get away is to move around in the 85-square-mile (220-square-kilometer) area.

More fighting also makes people more worried about the 140 hostages that are still being held by Hamas and other terrorists, even though more than 100 were freed during the truce. The end of the truce crushed families’ hopes that their loved ones would be the next ones to be freed after days of seeing other prisoners get freed. The number of hostages known to have died has now reached seven, according to the Israeli army on Friday.

Qatar, which, along with Egypt, has been an intermediary, said that talks to restore the cease-fire were ongoing. Israel and Hamas both said the other broke the deal. In a speech the day before, U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken asked Israeli leaders to do more to protect Palestinian citizens while they try to destroy Hamas. Blinken met with Arab foreign ministers on Friday at climate talks in Dubai.

It was unclear how much Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu would listen to the US, Israel’s most important partner. Israel “is committed to achieving the goals of the war,” according to Netanyahu’s office on Friday. These goals include freeing the prisoners and getting rid of Hamas, which has been in charge of Gaza since 2007.

After the US called, the Israeli military put out an online plan that showed the Gaza Strip as being split into hundreds of numbered, sloppy-drawn sections. It asked people to learn the number of where they lived in case they had to leave their homes. The map didn’t show safe places for Palestinians to go, and it wasn’t clear how easy it would be for them to get there.

After hours of more shelling, Gaza’s Health Ministry reported that 178 people had been killed and dozens more had been hurt. They said they hit more than 200 Hamas sites.

Scores Reported Killed in Gaza as Fighting Shatters Israel-Hamas Truce

Before the ceasefire, Israel attacked and killed more than 13,300 Palestinians. According to Gaza’s Health Ministry, about two-thirds of those killed were women and children since the ministry doesn’t tell the difference between civilians and fighters.

The death toll is probably much higher because the government hasn’t updated the count very often since November 11. The government says they think thousands more are dead under the rubble.

After the attack on October 7 by Hamas and other militants, who mostly killed civilians and took about 240 hostages in southern Israel, the war started. According to the New York Times, Israel’s military knew about Hamas’s plan to attack Israeli land more than a year before the terrible attack.

Read More: BEWARE Police Issue Urgent Warning to People Who Buy Gift Cards in PA and NJ!

Return to Battle

Israel said it stopped a barrage of rockets fired from Gaza about an hour before the cease-fire was set to end early Friday morning. Just minutes after it ended, the military said they would start fighting again, and strikes started right away.

In leaflets dropped in southern Gaza, Israel told people to leave their homes east of Khan Younis because the town in the south was now a “dangerous battle zone.” Other leaflets told people in a few north Gaza City areas to leave and go south.

Earlier in the war, hundreds of thousands of people fled from northern Gaza to Khan Younis and other areas in the south. This was part of an unusually large mass flight that forced three-quarters of the population to leave their homes and caused widespread shortages of food, water, and other supplies.

Israel-Hamas war updates: Over 175 killed as Israeli resumes Gaza attacks | Israel-Palestine conflict News | Al Jazeera

Palestinian officials at the Rafah crossing said that no trucks bringing aid came into Gaza from Egypt on Friday. This was after a higher flow of supplies during the cease-fire.

An aid group that works in Gaza called the International Rescue Committee said that the return of fighting would “wipe out even the minimal relief” that the ceasefire had brought and would “prove catastrophic for Palestinian civilians.”

John Kirby, spokesperson for the U.S. National Security Council in Washington, said that Israel stopped trucks from getting into Gaza on Friday but would let some aid in at the request of the U.S. government. Kirby stated that the United States would keep working to get more help into Gaza, at least as much as what came in during the pause.

In Khan Younis, people were desperately looking for living people in the wreckage of a building that a missile had hit. “Here we are, moms and kids. “We have nothing,” Fatima Nshasi, a family member of someone in the building, said as women sobbed nearby. “Life went on as usual, and we hoped the ceasefire would last longer.”

An attack also happened near Gaza City and in Maghazi, a refugee camp in the middle of Gaza. Rescuers had to dig through the rubble of a big building to get to people who were trapped inside. A foot stuck out of the mess of wires and concrete.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.